USCCB’s Call to Pray & Fast
The U.S. Bishops are encouraging the faithful to pray and fast for the renewal of a culture of life and marriage and for protection of religious liberty. In particular, Catholics are invited to make a pledge to fast and abstain from meat on Fridays.
A Fasting Testimony for YOU!
I was given the grace to become a better housekeeper. I’ve always struggled with sloth in regards to keeping up my home and while I still need to improve, I, and everyone else who knows me, have seen a difference. Just last Saturday my husband said, “I don’t know what you’ve done with my wife, but I like it,” as I cleaned up the breakfast dishes immediately after breakfast. To over come something that I have struggled with for so long, and never really thought I would make head way in, has been such a gift, as well as proof of the power of fasting. Praise be to Our Lord Jesus Christ for his infinite mercy.
There are 3 highlights of this testimony that apply to each one of us!
1. Fasting makes a difference! We are to rejoice in breaking habits and in behavior changes because those come from the eradication of vices and sins from deep within! These answered prayers are changes of the heart, conversion, and that is the real power of fasting.
2. We each struggle with sloth in some area of our lives – whether it’s getting out of bed in the morning, delaying in calling someone back, housekeeping, avoiding God when we need Him most, forsaking Confession, lukewarmness towards prayer or towards others – and the better we know ourselves, the more honest we are in prayer in asking God for help in overcoming slothful behavior. Why not make that a specific prayer intention for tomorrow?
3. Praising Jesus for the gifts He gives us. Sometimes we present our prayer intentions like a checklist for Jesus, and we forget to thank Him and praise Him for the prayers He answers because we’re so focused on seeing the whole list checked off. Let us thank Our Lord with sincerity and for His infinite mercy that catches us each time we fall.
The Live the Fast Starter Kit is designed for anyone beginning their bread and water fasting journey.
The Starter Kit includes:
• 36 rolls (one dozen cranberry oat, one dozen multigrain, one dozen ancient grain)
• “Live the Fast guide to a bread & water fast” booklet (72 pages 4×6″)
• A fasting prayer card
• A Magnificat prayer card
• A bread instructions magnet
• A Live the Fast bookmark